This episode features an interview with Samar Batrawi on Palestinians and the global jihadi movement. Some of the topics Aaron and Samar discussed include:
- Tensions, or lack thereof, between Palestinian nationalism and global jihadi ideology
- Background and history of Palestinian jihadism
- Palestinians and the Islamic State
- What the global jihadi movement means for local Palestinian politics
This episode also features a discussion of jihadi primary sources, covering releases from July 28th to August 13th, and a #SocialMedia segment on jihadi social media from August 9th to August 15th.
- Excellent study by Thomas Hegghammer and Joas Wagemakers: “The Palestine Effect: The Role of Palestinians in the Transnational Jihad Movement (PDF)
- International Crisis Group report on “Radical Islam in Gaza” (PDF)
- Keep an eye out for Samar’s article on the latest developments in Gaza which will appear in the August edition of the CTC Sentinel
- Samar Batrawi (@SamarBatrawi) | Twitter
The podcast is produced by Karl Morand. If you have feedback you can email [email protected], or find us on Twitter: @JihadPod.
You can subscribe to the show in iTunes or with our RSS feed.
Download this episode (34MB mp3)