In this episode Aaron talks to Jacob Zenn about the group commonly referred to as Boko Haram. They covered a variety of topics including:
- Background on Wilayat Gharb Ifriqiyya
- Misuse of the term Boko Haram to describe what is now called Wilayat Gharb Ifriqiyya, but previously was Jama’at Ahl al-Sunnah li-l-Da’wah wa-l-Jihad
- Process that led Jama’at Ahl al-Sunnah li-l-Da’wah wa-l-Jihad to pledge bay’a to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and become Wilayat Gharb Ifriyya of The Islamic State?
- Current status of Wilayat Gharb Ifriqiyya in Nigeria over the past few months
- Key questions and observations Jacob is currently looking at to see how situation might develop in the future
This episode also features a discussion of primary source material released between July 18th to August 1st, and a #SocialMedia segment covering posts from July 28th to August 3rd.
- Mindful of the Islamic State, Boko Haram Broadens Reach into Lake Chad Region – The Jamestown Foundation
- A Biography of Boko Haram and the Bay`a to al-Baghdadi – CTC Sentinel
- Women, Gender and the evolving tactics of Boko Haram – Journal of Terrorism Research
- Nigerian al-Qaedaism – excerpt from Current Trends in Islamist Ideology, Vol. 16 (PDF)
- Bokostan (@BokoWatch) | Twitter
- The Clairvoyant: Boko Haram’s Media and The Islamic State Connection? by Aaron Y. Zelin – Jihadology
The podcast is produced by Karl Morand. If you have feedback you can email [email protected], or find us on Twitter: @JihadPod.
You can subscribe to the show in iTunes or with our RSS feed.
Download mp3 (38MB)