This episode of the Jihadology Podcast features an interview with Erin Saltman on the report she co-authored with Melanie Smith, “‘Till Martyrdom Do Us Part’: Gender and the ISIS Phenomenon” (PDF). The conversation covered a variety of topics related to female participation in jihadism including:
- The history of female participation in jihadism
- Why the situation in Syria/Iraq is unique
- The biggest misconceptions of female emigrants
- The push and pull factors leading women to join up
- The different backgrounds of these women
- What they are doing inside Islamic State territory once they arrive
After that is our #SocialMedia segment, covering jihadi social media posts from June 30-July 10.
- Erin Marie Saltman’s personal site
- Home : Institute for Strategic Dialogue
- Erin Marie Saltman (@ErinSaltman) | Twitter
The podcast is produced by Karl Morand. If you have feedback you can email [email protected], or find us on Twitter: @JihadPod.
You can subscribe to the show in iTunes or with our RSS feed.
Click here for the mp3 version.