Kyle Orton comes on the show to discuss Islam in Saddam Hussein’s Iraq. Some of the topics covered include:
- Saddam’s Islamist foreign policy reorientation in the 1980’s
- The Faith Campaign after the Gulf War
- Salafism in Iraq in the 1990’s and its impact on security
- The rise of sectarianism in Iraq
This episode also features a #SocialMedia segment covering jihadi social media postings from September 1st-16th.
Recent articles by Kyle that are relevant to the discussion:
- Saddam and the Islamists, Part 2 | The Syrian Intifada
- A Response to Criticism: Why the Ex-Saddamists in the Islamic State Matter | The Syrian Intifada
- Izzat ad Douri and ISIS
- Saddam Loyalists Running ISIS Are True Believers, Not Secularists| National Review Online
- The Syrian Intifada | a-shab yurid iskat an-nizam – Kyle’s personal site
- Kyle W. Orton (@KyleWOrton) | Twitter
The podcast is produced by Karl Morand. If you have feedback you can email [email protected], or find us on Twitter: @JihadPod.
You can subscribe to the show in iTunes, Stitcher, or with our RSS feed.
Download this episode (26MB mp3)